Monday 1 March 2010

Cymric Flashback

It's St. David's Day honouring that crusty ol' church guy who knocked some saintly holy stuff into the thick skulls of 6th Century Wales.

So I'm making some leek and potato soup for the crew at Chateau Visigoth. Dinner is at 6, bring wine.

Also thought I'd post some pics of my mighty Welsh army in action. All these images come from Neldoreth's fantabulouso site http://www.hourofwolves.org/ you are encouraged to check it out.

The above pick is one of the games I'll crow about for ages. Getting stuck with my back to the sea and facing down Neldoreth's Vikings. My boys pulled off a 4-1 rout. My secret? Charge and roll 6's! (Also getting him to break his line prior to combat didn't hurt)


My Welsh seem to find more time to fight Norseman and Irish than the dreaded Saxon. The above pic comes from last years Viking era campaign. It's end of the game and I've shattered the Saxon's line. Roger picked a hill to die on, but I rather messed up his lads in the open. I painted the Early Saxon force as well. I've only played it once, destroying Mike's Picts 6G-2. I'm scared to touch them now.


This was the hardest fight, against Patrick's Norse Irish. Warband against Auxilia and Blades? Yep, tricky indeed. That said I had horse-shoes up my butt that day and managed not to get my general (styled Owain Daneslayer) wasted on the first turn of the first year of the campaign.
Forget the score, but it was close. Here we see Owain away from his troops (for some reason) ambushed by deadly paddies.

I painted my Welsh back in 2004, just after my separation and poured a lot of angst into them and produced them in two nights. Good mojo or bad? I dunno. They've lost only once... They're all Essex from the redoubtable Welsh line and the horse guys are from the Dark Age line. I only did the 'a' list, perhaps I will do the other options as well. These guys are in for a touch-up as their wear and tear in starting to get noticeable so bow and spear might happen then.

Notes: For the stat geeks I think the Welsh are 14-1. Recollections are misty and they predate any serious attempts at record keeping on behalf of the CCF and the NAGS. Most battles have been historical with the exception of repulsing of the Han Chinese from Cambria.

The loss was to Mike J's Vikings. It was 6-5 cluster-funk. Heaps of dead for sure.

I've added this in as it was left off after the previous day's post.

The soup was good.

Cheers, -Sean


4 comments:

  1. Nice stuff man! I look forward to a re-match with these guys vs. Skuld Britslayer!

    n.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, as 28mm Welsh DBA/HoTT project picks up speed we shall have a rematch in the grand style.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. 14-1. That is awesome. Are you bringing them to my tourney at MayDay?

    - Mark Wall

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mark: I might be dangling from Yamnuska on that weekend. Should weather go south, I'll try to go north instead. Will I take the Welsh? Maybe.

    ReplyDelete